Monday, March 24, 2014

External vs. Internal Motivation

At first I thought that the birthday card activity was just kind of a way for us to help learn how we affect others through our actions but after participating it was so much more than that. This activity was sort of a light bulb moment for me because I realized that I am truly driven by external motivation. I do have some sort of internal motivation in taking action to get what I want from life but at the same time for homework, studies, and some daily life tasks I realize that my environment really has a lot of effect on my motivation towards that. It does make me wonder though, where our preference for external or internal motivation comes from. At first I had thought that maybe it had something to do with being an extravert because being such a social person can allow you to possibly feed off of others as your motivation and since Sam and I had felt the same way I had begun to that maybe that was related in some way. Looking back I think its more of a correlation not a causation because, I believe Katie was also an extravert but she had a preference for internal motivation. This is a question that maybe I would like to do a little more research on. Any ideas?

Finding out that I am motivated by external factors really allowed me to be able to make sense of my last couple years at Iowa State. I always loved life here in Ames, and I felt like it was my home away from home which is the exact reason why I wanted to stay, but I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I am generally a good student but when I am studying things I have no interest in or don't want to be studying, my lack of motivation really goes out the window and I lose all sight of related goals. So for me switching majors left and right really made me feel like I had made a decision that might not have been right for me even though I love Iowa State. I had always wanted to do nursing or something with that field but I had not pursued it because I knew I wanted to be at Iowa State and since there are so many majors at Iowa State I could find one that I would eventually like and could be happy with. I am still kind of in this struggle with what I want to do with my life but I know that whatever path I choose I am dead set on graduating at Iowa State. Honestly speaking, if it wasn't for Debra, Allie, and Chelsee I probably would have left at the end of my freshmen year here. I am glad I didn't but it's hard for me to go through all of these motions without having an ending goal besides graduating of course.

Recently I have decided that after college and once I get things settled in, I would like to become a part time EMT and eventually work my way up to being a paramedic along with a full time job I can hopefully receive after graduation. I would possibly like to be a full time paramedic but we'll see when the time comes because I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason. It is all apart of God's plan for us. :)

4 comments:

  1. It's funny how different we can all be! I'm definitely motivated internally and to be honest, external motivators like my friends and family have little effect on me. While this is a good thing academically speaking, it makes things like making decisions that much harder for me. Last year, I also thought about transferring due to homesickness. I talked to my sister most about it, but in the end, nothing she said was going to change whether I stayed or left. Ultimately, I knew that the decision was going to come from myself and fortunately, it all worked out for the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious as to where our internal vs. external preference originates from and if it has any correlation to any other preferences we have? Especially since we are all so different! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Nicole,
    Like that intro? But like you I am motivated externally! It definitely hit me during that birthday card exercise as well! It was really cool to see how I am motivated and to realize how that affects my every day decisions! K thats all! Farms stink. Just kidding. But seriously, they smell bad!
    See ya thursday!!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Sam, you truly know how to make someone laugh. K. Thats all! :D

      Delete