Monday, March 10, 2014

3/10 Thursday's Lecture and Sunday's Retreat

In our class on Thursday, Matt and Nicole gave a lecture on how to lead groups effectively. Although I am kind of sad that we didn't get to do the jelly bean activity because I am sure it would have been very interesting to see how increasing the number of ideas, guesses, and people in our group correlated to how close of a guess we had, I thoroughly enjoyed the activity we had done. It is always excellent to receive practice on real life situations that we may come across next year and how we can solve these problems we encounter.

On the retreat on Sunday Sam and Brooke lead a lecture on goals and always keeping a positive look at things whether they be your goals or just situations you happen to be dealing with in everyday life. I really liked our activity with the situational strips requiring us to turn a not so good situation into a positive goal and then onto a SMART goal from there. This activity allowed us to really focus on always keeping a positive look at situations because honestly we have so much to be grateful for and I think that we sometimes lose sight of how good we really do have it until such activities are done. Once done with our own, allowing us to open our situation to the group really enforced how increasing more people in a group can help give more accurate and descriptive solutions or ideas like Matt and Nicole had discussed on Thursday.

Also at the retreat on Sunday we had the second half of icebreakers. I was really impressed with the uniqueness of everyone's icebreakers because many of them I had never done before which is refreshing since a lot of people tend to use the same icebreakers losing their effectiveness and funness (thats not a word...). Even though I loved all of the icebreaker activities I exceedingly enjoyed Kayla's because it allowed us to really connect with each other on a level in which we hadn't gotten to know each other yet even though we feel as though we know each other well. It was very thought provoking and interesting to help learn other's backgrounds and I really liked it.


4 comments:

  1. Hey Nicole!

    We really wish we could have done the jelly bean activity but we just didn't think we would have time, sorry! I also thought that it was very helpful that Sam and Brooke had real life situational strips because they will hopefully help us in the future! Also, Kayla's activity was definitely the very interesting because we got to find out more about each others on a new level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay! I totally understand, I was just curious as to how the results would come out. :)

      Delete
  2. First off, it's a little weird to read your own name in someone's blog, but thanks guys :) I would totally agree that it was good practice to make goals positive because we really do have a good life and it is always easier to do things when you're thinking positively. I was also super impressed with the ice breakers because repetitive ones do lose their "funness" and their ability to bring people together like they are supposed to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! And thanks for using my made up word to help make me not look so bad! :)

      Delete