I also enjoyed the discussion we had comparing and contrasting advice giving and interpersonal communication. I had a good idea of how they were related but I was having a little difficulty contrasting the two. After the venn diagram activity, I strongly feel that I am capable of determining the difference between the two. If I had to choose between the two I think I definitely have a preference for interpersonal communication over advice giving. I say this because once again, having a personal preference for feeling, it is important to me to make those personal connections with people. Since interpersonal communication is highly based upon using energy and feelings to help connect with a person in order to help solve their problems this method of communication and problem solving fits best with my personal preferences according to the Meyers-Briggs Personality Test.
Hopefully next year I will be able to use this method of problem solving to assist at least one if not more freshmen through experiencing a "troublesome" period of their life.
Nicole,
ReplyDeleteI think you are in a perfect position to be a peer mentor, especially with your appreciation for interpersonal communication. I think it will go a long way towards you getting to know your mentees and developing meaningful relationships with them. My only advice would be that at some points it is appropriate to only give advice. It isn't always the best, but at times it is the best way to get information to a student.
Joshua
Nicole, I think that you really have the importance of interpersonal communication figured out. I'm glad you see how important it is to develop those deeper connections with the students so that you are able to be a better peer mentor. This will definitely come in handy in the fall.
ReplyDelete