Monday, February 10, 2014

Ch. 3 Enhancing Cultural Proficiency

After our discussions in class last Thursday I went back into chapter 3 to do the blogging prompt activity on page 80. Here, factors that may contribute to your culture are listed and you are to pick a couple that you think have an influence on your life, but the one that I want to mainly focus on is tattoos.

I know that tattoos have become popular more recently and not everyone is for tattoos. Some believe that your body is a gift from god which is made perfect and to get tattoos is like disrespecting his gift and "saying" it's not perfect to you. Although I can relate to this view point and see where others are coming from I still appreciate what my tattoos have allowed me to do as a person.

I personally have three tattoos, while others may think that they are tacky, these tattoos are not just some random design thrown on my body due to a lost bet. They are an important piece of my life and looking at my body and seeing these tattoos is now who I am. They are a part of me. Every one of them has a specific meaning to me and they are daily reminders of who I am, where I have come from, the support system and strength I have which allows me to make it through difficult tasks as well as daily life.

When people ask me about my tattoos I love to explain why I have them and their meaning because it allows me to become more personable towards this person while discussing pieces of my life with them. I also feel that they are conversation starters! Haha. I'm not saying I need them in order to start a conversation (because we all know I can stir up a conversation from nothing!) but others who may not be as outgoing may see this as an opportunity for a good conversation. My tattoos allow me to really express who I am and to share my traits, qualities, and past with others.  Many people still might not be able to see their importance to me or why I did it, but to me they are a huge part of who I am and being able to share my stories with others may help them understand why my tattoos are of so much importance to me.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Nicole! You definitely don't need tattoos to start a conversation! That is awesome that each of your tattoos tells about a different part of your life. I personally think that people shouldn't judge others for their own life decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Matt! I do believe it is important on not judging people on those basis as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post Nicole, I didn't know that you had tattoos but I'm glad that each of your three tattoos means something to you and I respect your opinion on them. I myself have always wanted to get a tattoo but I pass out from the sight of tattoos...which could be problematic. Which one is your favorite tattoo and why (if you don't mind sharing)?

    and on a completely unrelated note. I LOVE your blog background!

    P.S Patriotism!

    ReplyDelete