Even though this chapter was a little tough to plan a lesson around I think we still benefited greatly from it. I think that talking about our major roles as peer mentors and how peer mentors affect student's lives really puts into perspective the situation we have all agreed to be placed in. Not only that, but it is also a good wrap up for all of the information we have been given over the semester in order to prepare us for this fall.
Being a peer mentor is not just being a role model; it is about creating quality relationships that truly add value to both your life and the life of your mentee. In my own experiences I have not really had a bad experience with a peer mentor, but the peer mentors I had as a freshman coming in to Iowa State were the two most empowering people I know. They made me want to be a better student, made me want to go to class, and even made me want to make friends. Having peer mentors like them is the exact reason I wanted to become a peer mentor myself in this program. From this experience I want to build long lasting relationships and I want to make the same positive impact on their lives as I had received as a freshman.
There are so many personality traits and values that can make a peer mentor successful and to me being personable, honest, and available are some of the upmost important aspects I value. I am hoping that by putting these values as a priority that I will be able to make the positive impact I am wanting to.
Hey Nicole!
ReplyDeleteYou and Makayla did a great job making this tough lesson really fun! I also think building that relationship with your mentees is the most important part of being a peer mentor! You want to be able to make your students really enjoy their experience. You also want them to be able to fall back on someone(preferably you as the mentor!) that they really, truly trust when times in their college life get too crazy and hectic!
I really liked the activity we did in class because it was a great way to recap the information we learned through out the semester! You are lucky that you have not had a bad experience with a peer mentor. The qualities you have listed are important and you will be a great peer mentor!
ReplyDelete