Monday, January 27, 2014

Developmental Issues Concerning First Year Students.

This past week we discussed some common developmental issues that we may encounter while mentoring the incoming freshmen next year. I think that this general list we discussed is fairly accurate because I know that I myself had even went through some of these problems as a freshmen coming to college. Some of the concerns that I personally would feel as though I could answer decently well would be switching majors, not wanting to attend classes, and social life issues because these are some of the most prevalent topics I had gone through my freshmen year.

I came into Iowa State thinking I knew exactly what I wanted to do and when I got here I had been completely shocked when I had started classes and realized it was not what I wanted to do at all. I went through many career aptitude tests, personality tests, and countless meetings with advisors and mentors trying to figure out what I wanted to do and what I would be good at doing. This entire journey I went through lead me to where I am today and I think that without having to go through all of that I would not be as knowledgeable and useful in this area as I am. Many freshmen also go through the same concerns and I believe that I could be very helpful in this area. I am very confident that I can guide our mentees through these experiences to get them on the right path.

Even though I did eventually find out what I wanted to be doing, along the way I had to take a new orientation class with every time I had switched a major. These orientation classes get old the first time you take them let alone taking 3 or 4 different ones. Also, with them only being 1 credit and most times are just pass/fail I had a really hard time attending those classes. Eventually I worked through that and decided that I needed to attend because that was the only way I could pass those classes. Even though these classes were only one credit they still affected my GPA and I didn’t want to have on my record that I had failed a simple class leading to the belief that I didn’t even have the motivation to finish a simple class. This background history of attendance and I gives me a good stance in having to help other people with the same issues.

Also,  I think that I have a decent amount of experience with social issues that many incoming freshmen encounter. I came to Iowa State with a boyfriend of 3 years and all I wanted to do was spend time with him. After we broke up I broadened my horizons and went out and tried to meet as many new people as I could. While doing this I realized the importance of getting out and meeting people that you will actually form a life long bond with because you have so much in common. I think that I will be able to help anyone having problems with similar situations because I went through a lot of changes in my first year.

Thinking back on my first year here at Iowa State I know I did make a lot of mistakes but you can never learn from your mistakes if you don’t make them in the first place. I would like to use my new knowledge to help my mentees through the transition into college to give them the best possible experience!

  

3 comments:

  1. Using your own experiences as a base and a guide to how to best guide them is a great idea. It is what we are here to do as peer mentors. But, it is also important to learn about other situations that may arise as a new student that you may not have faced. It makes you feel good when you realize that you can help new students overcome some of the issues they face when coming to ISU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brooke! I do think I have solid background but I am always willing to learn new things so I can be the most well rounded peer mentor that I can. :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with Brooke 100%! I definitely plan on using the experiences that I went through to help me mentor the first year students! But I didn't go through what a lot of people have to go through. For example I never went through an end to the relationship like you went through. So it is going to take a lot of preparation for questions and situations like those! But, I am so excited to see how you use those things this coming year!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete